Your local HealthPathways portal provides the latest information about the clinical aspects of COVID-19 vaccination, including advice, delivery, and follow up.
GPs are encouraged to check they have access to HealthPathways.
Don't have a login for HealthPathways? Register using the above link.
To support the safe management of COVID-19 positive patients, the Australian Government is making additional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) available to general practice.
The expanded program provides comprehensive PPE bundles that are intended to support approximately 4 weeks of COVID-19 positive patient consultations per clinical staff member (i.e. 40 patient consultations – 20 patients with 2 consultations each).
PPE bundles including P2/N95 respirators, goggles, full length gowns, gloves, surgical masks, hand sanitiser and pulse oximeters will be made available to all:
- GPs, ACCHOs and GPRCs willing to manage COVID positive patients face-to-face, until 30 September 2022
- ACCHOs and rural and remote GPs (Rural and Remote areas is defined as RRMA zones 3-7) willing to treat COVID positive patients virtually and respiratory patients face-to-face, where workforce capacity is limited AND the GP is serving the community for most or all health needs, until 30 September 2022.
In addition, P2/N95 respirators and eye protection will be provided to all:
- GPs and GPRCs willing to support COVID positive people virtually, and respiratory patients face-to-face, until 30 September 2022.
The Australian Government Department of Health's Distribution of PPE through PHNs factsheets outline the PPE available, eligibility criteria and associated obligations of:
To order PPE bundles or explore the program in more detail, please complete the PPE request form at the below link:
PLEASE NOTE: NQPHN has no oversight of which P2/N95 masks will be supplied from the National Medical Stockpile (NMS), but we have had confirmation that all PPE from the NMS complies with TGA requirements.
There are currently no 3M masks available through the NMS. The PPE available for the NMS is based on availability and therefore subject to change.
Useful PPE resources
Pandemic response guidance – Escalation of personal protective equipment (PPE) usage in healthcare delivery, community health and care services, in-home care settings, and for healthcare delivery in correctional services
The Queensland Government’s Asset Library for COVID-19 healthcare providers also provides a collection of print-ready and editable resources for general practice in regard to COVID-19 and vaccination care. The collection includes:
- patient fact sheets – what to expect after your vaccination (AstraZeneca and Pfizer)
- sticker and badge artwork – “I’ve had the COVID-19 vaccination”
- practice signage – COVID-19 vaccination location
- pull-up banners – for photos and promoting the vaccination.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a work-based intervention program designed to enhance the emotional, mental, and general psychological wellbeing of all employees and includes services for immediate family members.
To access this confidential service, please contact AccessEAP on 1800 818 728 and identify as one of these groups when calling into our service, starting with Northern Queensland Primary Health Network, then either GP staff or Chemist Staff.
For more information on AccessEAP, visit their website.
NQPHN has also created an EAP support poster to advise staff of the service availability:
Staffed by senior GPs and experienced counsellors trained in doctors’ health, Drs4Drs is a free medical service for GPs seeking support
An initiative from the Department of Health and Medical Board of Australia to ensure GPs have access to care and support when they need it.
This is a 24/7, free and confidential service you can access by calling 1300 Dr4Drs (1300 374 377).
- Queensland Doctors’ Health Advisory Service: free and confidential advice 24/7 to medical practitioners and medical students. This support advice includes: matters relating to stress, mental health, personal and financial crises needs. Phone: 07 3833 4352
- RACGP Support Program: free, confidential specialist advice to help cope with professional and personal stressors impacting areas such as, mental health and wellbeing, work performance and personal relationships. Phone: 1300 361 008
- ACRRM's Employee Assistance Program: free for members experiencing workplace, training, exam, or other stresses or issues impacting your personal wellbeing. Provides immediate, confidential phone counselling support 24/7 in Australia and overseas. Phone 1800 818 728.
- Nurse & Midwifery Support: free and confidential support 24/7. Counsellors are available to discuss any health-related issues and provide advice and referral for nurses, midwives, nursing students, employers, educators, concerned others and the public. Phone: 1800 667 877
- CRANAplus Bush Support Services: free and confidential 24/7 telephone and online counselling service for rural and remote health practitioners and their families. Phone: 1800 805 391
- NewAccess - Beyond Blue: New access is a free service that provides support through a coach who can guide in setting practical goals that will get you back on track.
- Black Dog Institute self-care webinar: Online self-care for Doctors webinar. Free.