My health for life is a life-changing, six-month program designed to empower you on your journey towards better health and well-being. This initiative, funded by the state government and delivered by a collaborative alliance of health organisations, is dedicated to helping Queenslanders take control of their health and reduce the risk of chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
For more information, please visit the My health for life website.
It is never too late, and you’re never too young or old, to enjoy the benefits of being healthy.
At the heart of My health for life is your personal health coach. Whether you prefer small group sessions or one-on-one phone coaching, experienced coaches will work closely with you to create a tailored plan that aligns with your unique health goals. Together, you'll explore a wide range of topics including nutrition, physical activity, understanding your personal risk factors, and integrating healthier choices into your daily life.
In partnership with your GP and health professionals
We believe in the power of collaboration, and that's why My health for life works hand-in-hand with your general practitioner and registered health professional. Through this partnership, you are given the opportunity to participate in an evidence-based lifestyle modification program in your local community.
My health for life facilitators are trained, registered health professionals, including dietitians and exercise physiologists, who are deeply committed to preventive health.
Embark on a journey to better health
Embark on a journey to better health with the support, guidance, and expertise of My Health for Life. Join My health for life today and take the first step toward a healthier, happier you.
Take the FREE Health check here
Your well-being is our priority, and together, we can build a healthier future for North Queensland.
My health for life has helped over 15,000 Queenslanders improve their health outcomes and make positive behaviour changes.
Community centred and local
My Health for Life is deeply rooted in the community and delivered by local healthcare practitioners who understand the unique needs of North Queenslanders. By identifying individuals at high risk of developing chronic conditions, My health for life offers a flexible and personalised healthy lifestyle program that adapts to a persons specific circumstances.
My Health for Life is an evidence-based behaviour change program. There is no cost for your patient to participate, and you will be kept up to date on their progress. The program offers:
- FREE health coaching sessions with a qualified health professional:
- Evidence-based, behaviour change initiative, based on the HAPA model.
- Focus on factors that influence chronic disease risk: Nutrition, physical activity, healthy weight, alcohol, smoking, living and coping well, sleep.
- 6-10 Coaching sessions over 18 weeks.
- Culturally adapted programs.
- Support for at-risk patients.
- Sessions help individuals make healthier choices and create healthier habits.
- Initial session (45-60 Minutes). Your first session is a personalised one-on-one appointment.
- Subsequent sessions (totalling 120 Minutes). These five sessions encompass a variety of engagement options including:
- Small group sessions for face-to-face interaction.
- Telephone health coaching for convenient remote support.
- Video sessions for a flexible and accessible experience.
- Customised based on individual need. The program's content is tailored to your unique needs and includes:
- Assessing your personal risk of chronic diseases.
- Discovering and harnessing your inner motivation.
- Strategising for positive change and identifying your support network.
- Cultivating self-monitoring habits.
- Navigating healthy eating, physical activity, alcohol use, and smoking.
- Sustaining a healthy lifestyle and understanding the impact of sleep and stress.
Aged 18+ years with one of the following:
- All Queensland adults aged 18+ years.
- All patients identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Patients with one of the following:
- Previous gestational diabetes.
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia.
- Medically diagnosed high blood pressure.
- Medically diagnosed high cholesterol.
- AUSDRISK score ≥ 12.
- Absolute CVD Risk ≥ 15.
- Waist circumference ≥ 88cm for women (or ≥ 80cm for women of Asian descent) or ≥ 102cm for men (or ≥ 90cm for men of Asian descent).
An existing diagnosis of (for those not of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Descent):
- type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- heart disease
- chronic kidney disease
- current gestational diabetes.
A patient is eligible with general practitioner consent for one of the specific conditions:
- mental health condition
- acute illness
- surgery in the previous 12 months.
Follow the below steps to refer a patient to the My health for life program.
- Medical practice software (available in Medical Director and Best Practice) as "My Health for Life Referral" form - Editable/printable pdf referral form
- And send/return via:
- Fax: (07) 3506-0909
- Medical Objects: My Health for Life FM4064000RY
- Otherwise, advise patients to self-refer by completing the online health check or phoning 137 475 (13 RISK)