The Australian Department of Health has produced an useful web page with information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples about COVID-19 vaccines and the current rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination program.
This web page includes answers to the following questions:
- Why should I get vaccinated for COVID-19?
- Where and when should I get vaccinated?
- Are there any known side-effects?
- Can I choose not to be vaccinated?
- Which vaccine will I be getting?
- I live remotely and move between places, what should I do?
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and people living in remote communities are at greater risk from COVID-19. This is because:
- there are higher rates of other health issues in these communities
- it can be harder to access health care
- people in the community are very mobile and travel often
- people often rely more on outreach services in remote places.
Queensland Health has developed a range of COVID-19 resources for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and services. New resources will be added as they continue to be developed.
The most accurate and credible information regarding COVID-19 is issued from Department of Health (State and Commonwealth) sources. Please be mindful that some resources developed by other states have state-specific information.
- Australian Government Department of Health: Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities – Information on how to protect your self and your mob
- Australian Government National Indigenous Australians Agency – New online training and toolkit for health professionals
- Queensland Government (Queensland Health) – COVID-19 Palliative Care Resources Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Worker Association (NATSIHWA) resources
- NATSIHWA COVID-19 resource toolkit for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) COVID-19 updates and information – Stop the spread of COVID-19
- Australian Indigenous Health InfoNet COVID-19 resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals
- Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA) – Coronavirus (COVID-19): Staying Connected, Stronger together
- Aboriginal Indigenous Doctors’ Association Ltd (AIDA)
- Impact of COVID-19 in remote and regional settings (Australian Government): This presentation includes an introduction to modelling, how COVID-19 could spread in an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, and what individuals and communities can do to try and stop the spread of COVID-19
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) coronavirus disease 2019
10 NovWebinar 10/11/2021 6.00pm- 7.00pm Australia General Practice, General Practitioners (GPs), Indigenous peoples' organisations, Nurse practitioners, Pharmacists, Primary care clinicians, Professionals working with children and young people, Vaccine providers